Ft. Harmar Flag 1785
Click on flag for more information.
Welcome to the Marietta Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution website. We are headquartered in Marietta, Ohio.
We commemorate and provide memorials for the people and events of the American Revolution. We work to inspire our communities with the principles on which our nation was founded. We as an organization strive to honor, respect, and support the sacrifices of our veterans, to promote patriotism, and preserve the ideals of freedom. We provide recognition for public service – law enforcement officers, public safety officers, and other citizens who exemplify the best civic traditions of our nation.
On behalf of our members, we invite you to join us in patriotic activities and programs in the communities around Southeast Ohio.
Marietta Chapter Meeting
Schedule for 2024
Revolutionary War Patriots
May 25, 2023
236th Anniversary Celebration of the Northwest Territory Ordinance
July 13, 2023
We are pleased to present a research project on our website, the History of Fort Harmar. Millie (Covey) Fry, a member of our sister organization, the Marietta Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, has just completed an extensive study of this United States military fortification on the west bank of the Muskingum River, opposite Marietta. Using diaries, correspondence, historical works and numerous other sources which she details elsewhere on this site, Millie has compiled a list of those soldiers and civilians who resided at this remote outpost on the frontier. Some of these soldiers also served in the Revolution. Built in 1785, the fort served to evict squatters before the settlement of the early Marietta pioneers less than 3 years later, was a place where treaties were negotiated and signed with native tribes and was a home for soldiers who took part in other important events regarding the settlement of the Northwest Territory.
A drawing of Fort Harmar by Jonathan Heart at 100 yards distance from a projecting angle of a bastion, circa 1786.
Courtesy of Josiah Harmar Papers, William L. Clements Library, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan